Czech, 1854 - 1895 Related Paintings of Raphael Von Ambros :. | Head portrait Girl | Landscape in Early Spring | Harmonious times | Constance | Christ on the Cross with the Virgin, Saint Jerome, Mary Magdalene and John the Baptist |
Related Artists:Emil janssen
Edward Jukes Greig
b. 1839 Melbourne, Victoria
Also known as E. J. G.
Artist (Draughtsman), (Cartoonist / Illustrator), (Painter)
Colonial Victorian painter, cartoonist and illustrator.
Birth datec.1839Birth placeMelbourne, VictoriaDeath date4 October 1864Death placeSydney, New South Wales.
Residence 1864 11 Crown Street, Millers Point, Sydney, New South Wales
c.1860- c.1864 171 Victoria Parade, Melbourne, Victoria
Active Period 1860- 1864
Italian High Renaissance Painter, 1472-1517, also known as Baccio della Porta, was an Italian Renaissance painter of religious subjects. He was born in Savignano di Prato, Tuscany. He received the nickname of Baccio della Porta for his house was near the Porta ("Gate") San Pier Gattolini. Starting from 1483 or 1484, by recommendation of Benedetto da Maiano, he apprenticed in the workshop of Cosimo Rosselli. In 1490 or 1491 he began a collaboration with Mariotto Albertinelli. In the late 1490s Baccio was drawn to the teachings of Fra Girolamo Savonarola, who denounced what he viewed as vain and corrupt contemporary art. Savonarola argued for art serving as a direct visual illustration of the Bible to educate those unable to read the book. From 1498 is his famous portrait of Savonarola, now in the Museo Nazionale di San Marco in Florence. The following year he was commissioned a fresco of the Universal Judgement for the Ospedale di Santa Maria Nuova, completed by Albertinelli and Giuliano Bugiardini when Baccio became a Dominican friar on July 26, 1500. The following year he entered the convent of San Marco. He renounced painting for several years, not resuming until 1504 when he became the head of the monastery workshop in obedience to his superior. In that year he began a Vision of St. Bernard for Bernardo Bianco's family chapel in the Badia Fiorentina, finished in 1507.